Saturday, March 24, 2018

Reading Comprehension Skills & Strategies



How do you infuse the teaching of reading skills and strategies? If you use a basal reading series, you most likely focus on one skill and strategy for a 1-2 week period. Even if you don't use a basal and find your own texts to use, it's a great practice to focus on re-teaching and reviewing comprehension skills and strategies. They're all so interrelated anyway.

When I teach reading skills and strategies, I like to display a poster on our class focus wall. This lets anyone who walks in the classroom know what we're targeting at the time, and is also a great reminder for students.

Even better than that, I have the same posters available to students at their desks. I don't start the year with a full ring of cards because that would be overwhelming, but I do give students a card to add to their rings as we go over it. I find students referencing their comprehension rings often during their seat work, independent reading, and even group work. We use these during small group time as well.

To use these cards, I print them (they come 4 to a page), laminate, cut them out and hole punch. The students do the rest. I know it can be tedious to laminate these bad boys, but I want them to last all year. Plus, it's a great task for my parent volunteer!

 There are the posters we use throughout the year. They're bright and fun, meaning they draw attention to themselves--which is the point!


You can find these posters as well as mini-posters in my TPT store. They're bundled together as well for a discounted price!









1 comment:

  1. The way you have described about reading skills and strategies are outstanding.Lynn Business Tutoring of Boca Raton . You have mentioned everything in detail.

    ReplyDelete