Sunday, November 16, 2014

Division Freebie

One week before Thanksgiving Break. Can I get am Amen? This week coming up is about all things turkey and making it through alive. I'm just popping in to give you all a quick division freebie. I hope you can use it now, or pin it for later. Click on the picture to download it from Google Drive. 


We recently finished up multiplication, meaning hello, division! This activity requires students to read the word problem, write the total, then determine if the number given is the number of groups, or the number in each group. Here's an example of both types:

Example 1:
There were 16 drinks and 2 coolers. How many drinks were in each cooler?
Total: 16 drinks (Yes, I make my kiddos label the numbers! This ensures comprehension!)
Groups: 2 coolers
# in each group: 8 drinks in each cooler (This is what students had to figure out)
Division Sentence: 16 (divided by) 2 = 8

Example 2:
There were 20 hats. If there were 4 hats in each drawer, how many drawers were there?
Total: 20 hats
Groups: 5 drawers (this is what students had to figure out)
# in each group: 4 hats in each drawer
Division Sentence: 20 (divided by) 5 = 4

My students enjoyed this activity, and I felt it was a meaningful review. Simply click on the picture to download this one page practice. :)







post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment